the Vicki Arnold blog uses affiliate links, please see the Policies page for more details.
Last time I brought you dresses for women. This time, I am bringing you a round-up of free skirt tutorials I have collected from around the web. I am organizing the list for easier reference this time because there are around eleventy thousand skirt tutorials or patterns out there. Give or take a few.
In case you wonder why my tutorial round-ups do not include photos of every skirt, I will tell you. Photos on the internet/blogs are not copyright free. They belong to the website owner/blogger. I only use a few photos from blogs that specifically state that I can do so OR I will email and ask the blogger if I can use their photo in a feature. So while including a photo of every tutorial would be great, I simply do not have the time to contact each blogger individually to do it the right way. I do hope you understand.
Maxi Skirt Tutorials
- Chiffon Maxi Skirt :: Melissa Esplin – Quite elegant.
- Side Ruched Maxi Skirt with Subtle Chevron Print :: It’s Always Autumn – This tutorial focuses more on creating the chevron print (which is pretty awesome).
- Mismatched Maxi Skirt :: iCandy Handmade – Mismatched stripes…on purpose, of course.
- Tiered Maxi Skirt :: Sew Much Ado – The tiers add visual interest, go see for yourself.
- Wanna Make a Dress :: A Small Snippet – Ok, so yes, this is a dress, but I am still including it because she used woven material and the tutorial is good.
- High Low Maxi Skirt :: Morning by Morning Productions – A hybrid skirt.
Skirt Tutorials for Knit Fabrics
- Single Seam Skirt :: Melissa Esplin – A very quick project.
- Library Maxi Skirt Tutorial :: Ucreate – You can make this skirt in any size you need with this tutorial. I love the color blocking.
- Draped Tulip Wrap Skirt Tutorial :: Cotton + Curls – This skirt can be made with any lightweight material, but if you use a knit, you don’t have to hem it.
- Ruffle Knit Skirt Tutorial :: Every Creative Endeavor – I love this skirt!
- Super Simple Summer Skirt :: I Am Momma Hear Me Road – Cute, easy skirt and alliterations?! Be still my heart!
- The Hopscotch Skirt by iCandy :: Kojo Designs – I like the bow on this.
- Ice Cream Social Skirt :: iCandy Handmade – A striped circle skirt with cute elastic trim detail. Yes.
- Ruffled Knit Skirt Tutorial :: Knitty Bitties – I’m loving the ruffles on women’s skirts.
- Everything’s Coming Up Roses :: Smashed Peas and Carrots – Simple, but nice.
- Tiered Ruffle Skirt Tutorial :: Mama Says Sew – Lettuce-edge ruffles are my favorite on knits.
- Yoga Skirt Tutorial :: Sew Woodsy – I have one of the Old Navy skirts she is talking about, it is comfortable.
- Ruffle Bottom Skirt Tutorial :: Craftaholics Anonymous
Skirt Tutorials for Woven Fabrics
- Pinwheel Skirt Tutorial :: Ucreate – This is a unique skirt.
- Pleated Wrap Skirt Tutorial :: Grand Revival Designs – Cute bow detail.
- Curve Skirt Tutorial :: Sew a Straight Line – A 1940′s inspired skirt.
- The Domesticated Skirt :: Sew a Straight Line – This cute skirt looks kind of like an apron, but not.
- Arrow Skirt Tutorial :: The Sewing Rabbit – Sample skirt is a girl’s skirt, but you could use the process to make an adult version.
- Wrap Skirt :: The Sewing Rabbit – A patchwork wrap skirt tutorial for any size.
- Taking Notes Skirt :: Sewing in No Man’s Land – Make matching skirts for you and a special little girl in your life!
- Charlotte Russe Inspired Skirt :: Sew Dang Cute Crafts – Inspired by Charlotte Russe, but a more appropriate length.
- Crafty Cupboard’s Pleated Chevron Skirt :: Sewing in No Man’s Land – Chevron is still a thing, I see. Skirt is cute!
- The Crayon Box Pleat Skirt :: Mad by Me. Shared with You. – You can make them in ANY size with this tutorials.
- Summer of No Pants Skirt Tutorial :: Sew Serendipity – The tutorial requires you to purchase a book for the pattern, but the step-by-step tutorial is too good not to include.
- Favorite Frills Skirt Pattern :: Your Style Rocks – Elegant.
- A Little Black and White Magic :: Moda Bake Shop
- Kate Spade Inspired Skirt :: Melissa Esplin
- How to Make a Borderline Skirt :: At the Picket Fence
Skirt Tutorials for Specialty Fabrics
- A Ruffle Skirt with Ruffle Fabric :: V and Co – Made with, you guessed it, ruffled fabric.
- Lace for Days Skirt :: Elle Apparel – Pencil skirt with lots of lace in a totally non-gaudy way.
- Tulle Skirt Tutorial :: Sew Much Ado – I seriously wish I could carry this loof. I. Love. It.
- The Sheer Thing Skirt :: Made by Me. Shared with You. – No, this isn’t a slip.
- Sheer Gathered High Low Skirt Tutorial :: Prudent Baby – Dreamy.
- Tulle Skirt :: Oh, Sweet Joy! – Another tulle skirt tutorial, be sure to see the link at the bottom where she tells you how to style it.
- Mint Lace Skirt Tutorial :: Elle Apparel – Stretchy, but classy.
- Sew a Ruffle Skirt :: Sew, Mama, Sew!
- Easy Ruffled Skirt Tutorial :: Craftaholics Anonymous – A different way to attach a ruffle at the bottom.
- Paper Bag Skirt Tutorial :: Cut Out + Keep
- Maternity High Waisted Skirt :: Sewing in No Man’s Land
- Lace For Days Maternity Skirt :: Made by Me. Shared with You – This is a modification of Elle Apparel’s Lace for Day’s skirt listed above.
- Dress to High Skirt Tutorial :: I Am Momma Hear Me Roar – Dress into a high waisted skirt.
- 30 Minute Scarf to Skirt Tutorial :: The Sewing Rabbit – This is for a girl’s skirt. Cute refashion.
- Target Pillowcase Skirt Tutorial :: Whatever Dee Dee Wants – Pillowcases are so versatile.
- Jeans to Skirt Tutorial :: Studio Fabric Shop – Turn jeans into skirts in 9 steps.
- No Sew Simple Skirt Tutorial :: Trashn2Tees – Turn a t-shirt into a skirt…without sewing.
- Striped T-Shirt Skirt Tutorial :: Craftaholics Anonymous – T-shirts into a striped skirt.
- Denim Skirt Makeover Tutorial :: Craftaholics Anonymous – Turn a blah denim skirt into something cute.
- Extender Slip :: iCandy Handmade – Add this lacy detail under any too short skirt.
- Petticoat Tutorial :: Alisa Burke – This can be worn as a skirt on it’s own or used as a petticoat under a dress or skirt.
Skirts for Girls
- The Cotton Candy Skirt :: Simply Simon & Company – This tulle skirt is adorable!
- The $5 Tulle Ruffle Skirt :: Simply Simon & Company – Takes a lot of time to create, but is super cute.
- Tiered Ruffled Skirt :: Every Creative Endeavor – Cute.
- Notion Skirt Tutorial :: The Sewing Rabbit - You can change up the look of this skirt easily with different trims.
- Pleated Pocket Skirt Tutorial :: The Sewing Rabbit – Pockets in a girl’s skirt? Yes, please.
- A Line Pocket Skirt Tutorial :: Whatever Dee Dee Wants – Similar to the one above, but no pleating.
- Pettiskirt, Please: A Tutorial :: Girl Inspired – What girls doesn’t want a pettiskirt?
- Valentine’s Bubble Skirt Tutorial :: Sew Dang Cute Crafts – A stripwork skirt for your sweetie.
- Layer Cake Skirt :: iCandy Homemade :: A knit skirt with a yoga waistband for girls. Super cute.
- Buttercup Skirt :: Made by Me. Shared with You. – You can add bustle detailing with this mini-tutorial also.
- The Starboard Skirt: Fall Edition :: Simple Simon & Company – Love this, so would my girls.
- The Starboard Skirt :: Simple Simon & Company – You think this is like the one right above, but it’s not.
- DIY Reversible Petal Skirt :: Prudent Baby – Reminds me of something I tried to make when my oldest was a toddler. This is better.
- 4th of July Ruffle Skirt :: Mama Says Sew – This is just darling!
- My House Skirt :: Sew Mama Sew – Whimsical.
There are 69 tutorials to get you started. Once you make your way through the list, hop over to my DIY :: Sewing Stuff board to see what other goodness I have pinned!