the Vicki Arnold blog uses affiliate links, please see the Policies page for more details.
Around here, I am seeing a lot of posters for end of summer ice cream socials hosted by churches and other groups. I thought it would be fun to share a list of 10 picture books for kids to stretch the fun out a little longer. Before we know it, shorter days, cooler nights, and bonfires will be here.
Disclosure: I am using affiliate links.
1. Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems
My kids are big Mo Willems fans. Piggie and Elephant provide fun, quick reading for them. My 9 year old son and 7 year old daughter particularly like them.
2. Ice Cream: The Full Scoop by Gail Gibbons
Another favorite author of ours. She has books on just about every topic imaginable.
3. Curious George and the Ice Cream Surprise by H.A. Rey
Who doesn’t love this little mischievous monkey?
4. The Ice Cream King by Steve Metzger
Teddy is in for a surprise when he visits the new ice cream shop in town.
5. Ice Cream Soup by Ann Ingalls
This one is an easy reader, level one.
6. I Scream! Ice Cream!: A Book of Wordles by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
A witty book full of word play.
7. I Am An Ice Cream Truck by Ace Landers
A board book for the littlest of readers (or being-read-toers).
8. Ice Cream by Elisha Cooper
A fun book describing how ice cream is made.
9. Ice Cream: Including Great Moments in Ice Cream History by Jules Older
Which flavor is most popular? Who invented the cone?
10. Ice Cream Cones For Sale! by Elaine Greenstein
The great debate over who invented the ice cream cone is red hot!
After reading about ice cream, maybe you want to eat some?
Well, I came across this article on Spoonful called 18 Incredible Ice Cream Cake Recipes that look divine. You know, in case you have someone special you’d like to impress. Perhaps you can use make them with some homemade ice cream?
A couple bonus books for parents:
- The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home
And now that I’ve made myself hungry, I shall say…enjoy!