the Vicki Arnold blog uses affiliate links, please see the Policies page for more details.
Maternity clothes can be hard to find, at least they were for me and my friends who did not want to spend a fortune. I thought some DIY-minded women would appreciate a round-up of free sewing tutorials for maternity clothes.
I am also including tutorials for nursing clothing as well. If you are pregnant, I highly recommend looking into breastfeeding. My friend Trisha has a site called Breastfeeding Place with lots of information for you.
A lot of these take regular clothes and turn them into maternity clothes. If you don’t want to turn your regular wardrobe into a maternity only wardrobe, check thrift stores, Salvation Army, or Goodwill stores. You can find clothes inexpensively to modify.
- DIY maternity pillow from For Her Worth is Far Above Rubies
- Hospital gown by Design Fix :: This is a modification of this free pattern.
- How to sew a belly band by DIY Maternity
- Lace trimmed maternity belly bands from Made by Me & Shared with You
- Ruffled belly band tutorial from See Kate Sew
- Nursing sleep bra also from Made by Me & Shared with You
- DIY breastfeeding infinity scarf by Diary of a Mad Crafter
- No sew nursing top solution from DIY Maternity
- How to make nursing pads from DIY Maternity
- DIY modern nursing shawl from Coterie
- Make your own nursing cami from The Jenson Jaunts
- Maternity bow belt from See Kate Sew
- Two piece knit wrap nursing dress from Made by Me & Shared with You
- Make mommy happy 30 minute dress from Keeps Me in Stitches
- Turn about the room dress from Mad Mim at DIY Maternity
- Make a sundress from A Beautiful Mess
- Make a wrap dress from A Beautiful Mess
- Maternity or non maternity tapered dress by Cotton & Curls
- The perfect maternity dress revamped by Do It Yourself Divas
- Empire waist dress by The Cottage Home
- Tiered dress from The Sewing Rabbit
- Maternity skirt tutorial from See Mommy Sew :: A simple, relatively easy to make skirt.
- Modest maternity mini skirt from Georgeina :: Modify a regular skirt into a maternity skirt.
- Maternity yoga skirt by Monkey See Monkey Do at DIY Maternity
- Turn an oversized skirt into an empire waist maternity skirt by Craft Snob at DIY Maternity
- Very gathered A-line skirt tutorial from Cotton & Curls :: This skirt has POCKETS!
- Tied and true skirt from Elle Apparel
- Super comfy stretchy maternity pencil skirt at Sewing in No Man’s Land
- Maternity tiered skirt from The Sewing Rabbit
- How to sew your own maternity shirt by altering a non-maternity pattern by Laura’s Blog :: This tutorial tells you how to alter a pattern to make it maternity, with photo examples.
- Big tee to maternity shirt refashion by Homemade by Jill
- Big ugly shirt refashioned into maternity by Alida Makes :: This is a really cute shirt!
- Semi-homemade maternity shirt by Made :: Altering a larger store bought shirt to make it maternity.
- Maternity refashion from Happy Together at Alida Makes :: This is a dressier shirt refashion with some ruffles.
- Shirred maternity tunic top from Pretty Prudent :: Another men’s dress shirt refashion.
- How to make a maternity calendar shirt from One Little Minute at DIY Maternity :: This is a really cute project! I think it would make a great gift, too.
- Maternity top tutorial from A Jennuine Life at DIY Maternity :: Another t-shirt refashion with cute ruffle detailing.
- Make a tunic from A Beautiful Mess :: This takes 10 minutes.
- Make a lace top from A Beautiful Mess
- Men’s tee to loose top with gathered back by Cotton & Curls :: This can be maternity or not. Also, I wish I looked this cute while pregnant.
- The perfect maternity shirt from Do It Yourself Divas
- Sewing for a belly: filigree apogee top by Mad Mim
- KellyLeaSews’ Maternity top tutorials at Made by Rae :: These are modifications of a purchased pattern, super cute.
- Maternity bib halter tank at The Sewing Rabbit
- Shirt to nursing shirt refashions at Home Sweet Homebodies
- Maternity shirt with ruffle shoulders from How Joyful
- Maternity shirt from Make Baby Stuff
- Maternity pants tutorial from Grosgrain Fabulous :: Take a pair of regular jeans and turn them into maternity jeans with this tutorial.
- Easy maternity jeans tutorial from Create Studio
- Maternity dress trousers by Ann of Sew Paradise at DIY Maternity
- DIY maternity pants from your favorite pants by Cotton & Curls at Say Yes to Hoboken :: Modify your pants in a way that is reversible for after baby.
- DIY maternity clothes from Sew Like My Mom :: She took a pair of shorts that were too snug to button anymore and turned them into maternity shorts.
- How to make a wrap cardigan from DIY Maternity
- The 3-in-1 DIY swimsuit sewing tutorial from Cotton & Curls