Sewing is one of my most and least favorite hobbies. Most favorite because I love fabric shopping, turning yards of fabric into something usable, hearing my kiddos rave about something made just for them, and wearing something fabulous I made just for me. Least favorite because my skills don’t match my imaginations and I am horribly impatient.
While I would love to bring you fabulous tutorials of my own creation, I only have so many hours in the day. Plus there are SO many great tutorials, patterns, and ideas out there. Twice a month or so I will be bringing you sewing related posts, like round-ups of free sewing tutorials, inspiration from around the web, and who knows, maybe a tutorial of my very own. The first one this month is, you guessed it, dresses for women (as opposed to little girls…)!
Between Mother’s Day, wedding season, and the fact that summer is a great time to wear a dress, now is the time to start thinking about making yourself (or someone you love) a new dress.
- Boho Maxi Dress – This one is super cute if you can carry a maxi dress off (I can’t unfortunately).
- Circles & Dots – A cute knit dress with a circle skirt
- Ruffle Maxi Dress – Another cute maxi dress (pictured above).
- Sew: The Blue Linen Dress Refashion – If you have an outdated (or simply too small) jumper dress, check out this refashion and tutorial. Super cute and frugal! See the photo below.
- Men’s Shirt to Dress Refashion – She took a men’s button up shirt and turned it into a cute summer dress.
- Hot Mess Sweatshirt Dress – Sounds frumpy? It’s not.
- Snappy Hot-Mess-Mommy Dress – This is includes a note to make the dress breast-feeding friendly.
- Little Red Infinity Dress Tutorial – You can make this one for less than $20.
- Infinity Dress with Bandeau Top – This is the same blog, but the bandeau part makes this a more modest option. (I may actually make this one!)
- The Modify Dress Tutorial – A free PDF pattern.
- The 30 Minute $6 Dress Tutorial – You can use any knit shirt for this, like maybe one that you already have?
- Partly Sunny Frock in Beehive – Unique. Cute.
- 2 Yard Dress Tutorial – I love the method to making this dress. There is no pattern, just fabric and your shape. It’s cute, too!
- Katjusha – A free pattern from Burda Style. Has a 50’s vibe to it.
- Sunshine, Daisy’s Bottom Mellow – Styled in the same vein as Anthropologie.
- A Casually Cute Knit Dress – I like the DIY belt that goes with it, too.
- Project ReStyle: Granny Chic – Have one of Granny’s nightgowns laying around? Turn it into a (cute!) dress.
- T Shirt Dress DIY – This is a cute, casual option.
- A Gathered Dress – Gets its name from the gathered bodice and skirt.
- Yellow Maxi Dress from a Vintage Sheet – A cute dress made from a sheet? Yes. Yes, indeed.
- Hint of Vintage Maxi Dress – Another cute maxi dress option for the non-vertically challenged among us.
- Urban Outfitters Ecote Dress Knock-off – A cute pattern that is available for sizes 6-8.
- The SoHo Maxi Dress – I love the ruffle on this one.
There are 23 dresses to get you started. Once you make your way through the list, hop over to my DIY :: Sewing Stuff board to see what other goodness I have pinned!
Download Sewing Patterns Today!