I was recently talking with a friend about keeping our mind’s focus on the joy of the Lord. She asks a great question of herself, what is the source of my joy? As Christians, our joy is to be found in the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet in this world, it is so easy to lose that and focus on just about anything else.
We lose our joy when we are consumed with worry over life situations. We lose our joy when we easily react with anger to our children. We lose our joy when we are consumed with jealousy over a spouse’s interactions with others. We lose our joy when we sin against God. This world is full of joy-killers.
Be consumed with the God. Be consumed with the Word of God. Be consumed with prayer. Be consumed with following Christ’s directives. Be consumed with working out your own salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). Be consumed with the joy of the Lord.
“Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.” This is the prayer of Psalm 51:12. He can restore the joy in your life. Seek His face and hide these verses in your heart for the times when you need to counter the joy-stealer voice in your head.
- “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into the gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.” – Psalm 100
- “A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!” – Proverbs 15:23
- “And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.” – Romans 5:11
- “Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.” – Romans 15:13
- “But the fruit of the Spirit s love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.” – Galatians 5:22-23
- “Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;” – Colossians 1:11
- “My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.” – James 1:2-3
- “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” – 3 John 1:4
I encourage you to do more than simply memorize these verses. Go to them in your Bible and read the context. Pray for God to guide your understanding and show you how to apply it to your life. The Word of God is alive, it will change you from the inside out…if you let it.
Let me leave you with this section of scripture as a reminder of where our joy truly is found:
“Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. And in that day shall ye say, Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.” – Isaiah 12:2-6