Maternity clothes can be hard to find, at least they were for me and my friends who did not want to spend a fortune. Since there are quite a few free maternity sewing tutorials floating around, I thought some DIY-minded women would appreciate a round-up of free sewing tutorials for maternity clothes and accessories.
I am also including tutorials for nursing clothing as well. If you are pregnant, I highly recommend looking into breastfeeding. My friend Trisha has a site called Breastfeeding Place with lots of information for you.
A lot of these take regular clothes and turn them into maternity clothes. If you don’t want to turn your regular wardrobe into a maternity only wardrobe, check thrift stores, Salvation Army, or Goodwill stores. You can find clothes inexpensively to modify.
- DIY Contoured Maternity Pillow from Homemade Toast – Designed to help a pregnant woman sleep. Need I say more?
- Hospital gown by Design Fix – This is a modification of this free pattern. Help a tired new mama feel a little prettier than the standard hospital gown.
- How to sew a belly band by DIY Maternity – Help your standard clothes last a little longer with this accessory.
- Lace trimmed maternity belly bands from Made by Me & Shared with You – A fancier version of the belly band.
- Ruffled belly band tutorial from See Kate Sew – A super cute version of the belly band.
- Nursing sleep bra also from Made by Me & Shared with You – I had a few of these when my youngest was born and they were such a game changer. So comfortable and made night time nursing much easier.
- DIY breastfeeding infinity scarf by Diary of a Mad Crafter – Trendy and practical? Yes, please.
- No sew nursing top solution from DIY Maternity – This doesn’t seem to work for everyone. If you use a $2 cami from Walmart to try it out, you may find a new favorite nursing accessory or only be out $2 if you don’t.
- How to make nursing pads from DIY Maternity – Disposable nursing pads are expensive, try some reusable ones to save some money.
- 15 Minute Nursing Cover from Clarks Condensed – A super simple pattern that gives you a nursing cover that covers your front and your back.
- Make your own nursing cami from The Jenson Jaunts – Another DIY nursing clothes option.
- Maternity bow belt from See Kate Sew – This faux belt gives some definition to your shirts.
- DIY Nursing Bra Hack from Keeping Up With Us Jones’ – I’m not sure how easy to use the closure is, but nursing bras are expensive and making do with what you have is what you have to do sometimes.
- DIY Pumping Bra from Pretty Providence – This is a no-sew tutorial that only takes minutes.
- Slouchy T-Shirt Hospital Dress from Merrick’s Art – This simple pattern gives you a super comfortable option for those first few days…months…when comfort is what it is all about.
- Two piece knit wrap nursing dress from Made by Me & Shared with You – This dress goes from maternity dress to nursing dress.
- Make mommy happy 30 minute dress from Keeps Me in Stitches – Designed to pull together quickly, this dress tutorial does use a serger.
- Turn about the room dress from Mad Mim at DIY Maternity – This step by step tutorial features lots of photos so you can easily see what you are supposed to be doing. The result is a super cute dress that rivals anything you could find in a store.
- Make a sundress from A Beautiful Mess – Using pre-smocked fabric, this is about the easiest dress tutorial you can find.
- Make a wrap dress from A Beautiful Mess – This dress reminds me of a Greek goddess statue. If you are looking for a maxi length dress, this is one for you.
- Maternity or non maternity tapered dress by Cotton & Curls – This dress has a fun hi-low hemline, especially when used as a maternity dress, and a cute collar.
- The perfect maternity dress revamped by Do It Yourself Divas – Using a t-shirt for the top, this dress cost the maker only $6!
- Empire waist dress by The Cottage Home – Another option that starts with a t-shirt and knit fabric. A well done tutorial with lots of photos.
- Tiered dress from The Sewing Rabbit – The link to the pattern/tutorial Google document is a little hard to see, but it is there beneath the second picture.
- Birthday Kimono Dress from Elle Apparel – A flowing, forgiving dress.
- Maternity skirt tutorial from See Mommy Sew – A simple a-line, relatively easy to make skirt.
- Modest maternity mini skirt from Georgeina – Modify a regular skirt into a maternity skirt.
- Maternity yoga skirt by Monkey See Monkey Do at DIY Maternity – Comfy knits make for comfy clothes.
- Very gathered A-line skirt tutorial from Cotton & Curls – This skirt has POCKETS!
- Tied and true skirt from Elle Apparel – This is not a tutorial per se, but she does tell you how she made the skirt and it is cute. So I included it.
- Super comfy stretchy maternity pencil skirt at Sewing in No Man’s Land – You have to be comfortable with a pencil skirt for this one, but if you are, this is a cute skirt!
- Maternity tiered skirt from The Sewing Rabbit – Find this tutorial the same as the previous one, look for a link in the post.
- How to sew your own maternity shirt by altering a non-maternity pattern by Laura’s Blog – This tutorial tells you how to alter a pattern to make it maternity, with photo examples.
- Oversized High-Low Sweater from Elle Apparel – This sweater looks stylish and comfortable!
- Big ugly shirt refashioned into maternity by Alida Makes – This is a really cute shirt!
- 70’s Style Empire Line Ruffle Sleeve Maternity Shirt from By Hand London – Hacks a dress pattern to make a super cute shirt.
- Semi-homemade maternity shirt by Made Everyday – Altering a larger store bought shirt to make it maternity.
- Maternity Blanc T-Shirt from Melly Sews – A casual shirt, pair with the maternity shorts pattern she has for summer errands.
- Maternity refashion from Happy Together at Alida Makes – This is a dressier shirt refashion with some ruffles.
- Shirred maternity tunic top from Pretty Prudent – Another men’s dress shirt refashion.
- How to make a maternity calendar shirt from One Little Minute at DIY Maternity – This is a really cute project! I think it would make a great gift, too.
- Maternity top tutorial from A Jennuine Life at DIY Maternity – Another t-shirt refashion with cute ruffle detailing.
- Make a tunic from A Beautiful Mess – This takes 10 minutes.
- Make a lace top from A Beautiful Mess – This does not take 10 minutes, but the lines are pretty simple.
- Men’s tee to loose top with gathered back by Cotton & Curls :: This can be maternity or not. Also, I wish I looked this cute while pregnant.
- The perfect maternity shirt from Do It Yourself Divas – This does not use a specific pattern, it goes by your specific measurements.
- KellyLeaSews’ Maternity top tutorials at Made by Rae – These are modifications of a purchased pattern.
- Maternity bib halter tank at The Sewing Rabbit – Her maternity style is loose and flowing, a bit bohemian feeling. I like it.
- Maternity shirt with ruffle shoulders from How Joyful – Upcycle an oversized t-shirt for this one. I love the ruffles!
- Maternity shirt from Make Baby Stuff – The fabrics for the sample are quite bright, but the style is similar to a peasant top.
- Maternity pants tutorial from Grosgrain Fabulous – Take a pair of regular jeans/pants and turn them into maternity jeans/pants with this tutorial.
- Easy maternity jeans tutorial from Create Studio – Another tutorial for turning regular pants into maternity pants.
- Maternity dress trousers by Ann of Sew Paradise at DIY Maternity – This tutorial shows the process of taking dress pants and turning them into maternity dress pants.
- DIY Maternity Jeans Hack from DIY Magazine – This is a different take on modifying regular pants into maternity pants.
- DIY maternity clothes from Sew Like My Mom – She took a pair of shorts that were too snug to button anymore and turned them into maternity shorts.
- Maternity Shorts from Melly Sews – A free pattern is included to make these cute shorts.
- How to make a wrap cardigan from DIY Maternity – This is a cute cardigan that can be worn post-baby, too.
- Maternity Winter Coat from DIY Maternity – Another link that is not exactly a tutorial, but she does tell what pattern she used for the coat and what alterations she made to make it maternity. It is also the only maternity winter coat I could find.
- The 3-in-1 DIY swimsuit sewing tutorial from Cotton & Curls – Oh my goodness. This is the CUTEST thing ever. Very vintage vibe going, too.
- Grow With You Maternity Swimsuit from Heather Handmade – Another great swimsuit option.
Another Maternity Sewing Tutorial
- DIY Strappy Romper from A Pair & A Spare – For those hot summer months.
This post has been completely updated in May 2019. Here is the original post graphic: