If you have been around the blog for a while, you may have noticed that come spring time I love to talk gardening. Today I am bringing you what I am calling the Ultimate Guide to Gardening Fun With Kids. Oh, and a great giveaway at the bottom.
You’ll notice a couple things about this ultimate guide. One, it’s not overly complicated. Two, it’s not overly lengthy.
Why? Because I believe the more you complicate a matter, the less likely it is to actually be accomplished. So let’s just get to it!
Ultimate Guide to Gardening Fun With Kids
Just to reiterate, I like to keep things simple. So I broke this down into general tips, specific tips, crafts and activities if you are not ready for actual gardening yet, and finally, some resources for teens and adults because learning isn’t just for kids.
General Tips to Get Started
- Don’t overthink it and don’t let it intimidate you if you have never gardened before.
- Start small. Pick a small patch of ground or try a few containers. It is much better on your psyche to do small well than to flop because you went too big. Trust me.
- Gather supplies. Get your containers and dirt, or some tools and compost for your ground plot, your plants and/or seeds, and start working your soil.
- Choose some easy plants to get started.
- Don’t forget to check your plants daily. You want to check to see if they are getting enough sun, if they need water, if there are pests that need handled, and if there are any weeds that need dealt with.
Specific Ideas for Gardening with Kids
- Choose an age-appropriate garden for your child to grow.
- Introduce gardening in your homeschool with these 6 easy ideas.
- More easy ways to get started gardening with kids.
- Easy ways to keep toddlers busy in the garden.
- Create a vermipost bin.
- Or try composting another way.
Garden Themed Crafts & Activities
If you have a while before you can do your chosen gardening activity, warm your kids up to the idea with some garden themed crafts and activities.
- Write some garden themed acrostic poetry.
- Read a few books about gardening.
- Add some color to your garden with a spring wind chime.
- Create some plant markers for your garden by painting some rocks.
- If sensory bins are your thing, give this garden themed bin a try.
- Host a garden theme party.
- Make a super cute pig watering can.
Gardening Resources for Teens & Adults
Kid Blogger Network Giveaway
Win one of THREE $500 cash prizes directly in your paypal account! This giveaway is open internationally. You must be 18+ years old to enter. Void where prohibited. No purchase necessary. Winners will be notified via email and have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen. Please see detailed terms and conditions below the giveaway for more info.
Kid Blogger Network Spring Activities
The Kid Blogger Network is full of blogs dedicated to kids. We have a very wide range of what that means, too. There are blogs with activities for kids, blogs about parenting kids, blogs about teaching kids (homeschool and in a classroom setting), and more. Check out all their spring round up posts for this event below!