Sewing is a great skill for both boys and girls, so I hunted down some sewing tutorials for boys. Most sewing tutorials you can find are for women, girls, and babies. Since I have a boy, I thought finding him some more boy-ish sewing tutorials would be a good thing.
Just a couple notes: these are sewing tutorials for boys to sew, but I’m sure they would make good gifts, too. The level of difficulty in these patterns range quite a bit. Some are good for hand sewing, others for beginner machine work. Use your best judgement on where your young man is when choosing a tutorial.
Sewing Tutorials for Boys
- DIY Tic Tac Toe Game from Raising Memories – This is a great beginner project. Super simple instructions and few necessary materials. Hand sewing project.
- Superhero Mask from Crazy Little Projects – A machine is used for this one and it is a bit more complicated of a project.
- Make a Sleeping Bag for a Stuffed Animal by It’s Always Autumn- Maybe your little guy has a special buddy that would like his own sleeping bag? Machine project.
- Ninjago Pillow Case from Crazy Little Projects – Transform a plain pillowcase into their favorite ninja. A machine project that would be good for trying a new stitch.
- Stuffed Ninja from Cheer Up Your Kids – This could be done with a machine or by hand.
- DIY Felt Campfire from Twin Dragonfly Designs – Hand or machine. A bit more involved because of the number of pieces, but a fun project!
- Single Sock Dog Tutorial from Little Black Teapot – Have a decent mismatched sock floating around? Turn it into a stuffed dog. Hand or machine.
- Shark Bag from Stitched by Crystal – A more advanced project simply. Machine.
- Scarf with Pockets from A Girl and a Glue Gun – Another great beginner project. This would make a good first machine project.
- How to Sew a Bookmark from Skip to My Lou – This is a great project that is all about your fabric, meaning once they make themselves a couple, they can make them for gifts and simply change out the fabric used.
- Easy Felt iPod Case from Skip to My Lou – A good easy project for hand or machine.
- Make a Drawstring Bag from Make and Takes – Beginner project, good for hand or machine sewing. Lots of uses for this: marbles, LEGOs, crayons, etc.
So there you have it, a short list of 12 sewing tutorials for boys. I was a bit surprised, but not really surprised that there isn’t a lot of options available for boys. Something to think about, I guess. Anywho, I hope you find something to intrigue the sewing boy in your life!